Monday, May 26, 2008

Honest Grandmas

I love family. These are the people that love and support you no matter what, right? I mean, if no one else in the entire world believes in you, they will. My family has been notoriously supportive of me and my music from day one. They're always going out of their way to make it to shows and tell all their buddies about us as well. Sometimes they're almost overly zealous. Sometimes... not.

Last week we finished up a little tour down in the central valley and got in real late. The next morning, Jess and I straggled up to Lake Tahoe for my Uncle Randy's wedding. It was great fun hanging out and talking golf with all my lawyer cousins. The conversation turned from golf to music and, inevitably, to American Idol. (Jess and I are always having people tell us to audition for that show) That's when my Grandma walked up. "Oh no!" she said. "Nathan doesn't have a strong enough voice for that." The conversation abruptly stopped and everyone found an excuse to walk away. I know I don't have an American Idol voice, but I didn't know my Grandma knew it too.

Peace, hope and love- Nathan J.

7 comments:

Rosebud Organics said...

That's awesome. I wish I had heard it! :)

MillerTime said...

Hey Nate,

That's why I don't talk to pretty much any of my extended family.

Think of it this way, at least you heard it from her at a family get together rather than from Simon on national TV. Although if it was from Simon you could probably come up with some clever way to zing him back, with your grandma you can't say much. Weird how people don't feel comfortable punking their grandma's.

Anonymous said...

That's the thing, my Grandma's kinda sensitive. I had to pretty much take it in the shorts.

But now I'm curious, what would you (or anyone else out there)have said if it were you and your Grandma?

Kyle Ray said...

that it's her side of the families fault

colette

Anonymous said...

Dear Nathan,

Grandma does the best that she can and has always blurted out with things............ If this were not the first time she had done it to you, you would probably not have posted it...

The older I get, the more compassion that I try to have for folks. It sometimes takes the sting out of left field comments.

She just can't help it. It's an impulse control thing, and I'm pretty sure that whatever meaning was attached to the comment in her mind, it was only good because she thinks you and Jess are amazing. I hear how wonderful you both are all the time, and what great musicians and performers.

Sometimes the blurts hurt though........ I have almost 48 years worth.

Anonymous said...

PS:

signed

Aunt Chris

Anonymous said...

PPSS:

Sometimes just saying "why would you say that?" puts things back into a more controlled focus too.

It's amazing how powerful that little question can be sometimes....... or any request for clarification, especially in a humble fashion......

Gives an opportunity for the out of control impulse thing-y to be rethought.

love to you from AC