Thursday, March 13, 2008

May the Lord have mercy on your twisted soul

So, about a month and a half ago, I received an email from some guy who'd found us on craigslist. He was from the UK and wanted us to play at his wedding in Florida. So we shot emails back and forth for about a week. He'd ask how much our fee was, I'd answer him and ask my own questions ("do you want us to play the wedding march?" etc.); he'd ignore my questions and repeat his question. This went on for at least five or six times. Finally, thinking he might not be "all there" or whatever, I told him (for the seventh time) our fee. I didn't hear from him again until today when I read his latest email. Basically, it stated that his banker had made the mistake of combining our fee and the caterer's fee in one check and sent it off to us. He said, with the check there would be a letter with instructions on what to do next. The funny thing was, no sooner had I sent him a reply (saying things like, "thanks for wasting my time" and, "may God have mercy on your twisted soul.")then UPS rang the doorbell. Of course it was a package with a very large check and a letter. Now my question is, what do you do with things like this? Does the FBI have a hot line or something? Poor guy, I almost feel bad for someone who's that morally depraved.

peace, hope and love- Nathan J. Emmans


"Good Lord, I'm crooked deep down! Everybody's crooked deep down." -Derek Webb

8 comments:

colette ashley said...

well, if you recognize that you are crooked, he is crooked, we are all crooked deep down, then maybe the best thing to do is just say a prayer for him and forgive and forget. that's what i would do.

it seemed a little sketchy from the beginning, considering his vocabulary, etc. oh well, maybe next time it wont be fraud....

Anonymous said...

Indeed, that is the best thing to do; hence, "may God have mercy on your twisted soul."

colette ashley said...

i meant more in the "turn the other cheek" way, no anger and just forgiveness and mercy.

:)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you... I guess it does sound like I was angry with the guy; but I'm not, I'm just sad for him. I really hope and pray that God has mercy on his twisted soul.

Anonymous said...

He's morally depraved because why... he sent you a check? Am I missing something?

MillerTime said...

I don't see a problem with being angry with wrong in the world. Nate it sounds like you made it clear to him that you recognized his scam and weren't falling for it. I think in general we just have to be aware that there is evil in the world and that people without a relationship with Christ are very susceptible to it. I think in situations where we have to deal with something like this the ideal would be to have the clarity of thought to control our reaction and respond by reaching out rather than lashing out. I know that sounds a little bit like a corny saying but I think the easy route is to get pissed, yell at some one and eventually let it go. As Christians I think God would prefer if we were able to see those instances as an opportunity, that some one is broadcasting to us that they don't know Christ and they need to.

I hope my post makes sense, gotta run to class, see ya.

Anonymous said...

Brittney, I know this particular blog was particularly lacking crarity. Sorry 'bout that. Basically, the guy was pulling a scam. The check's no good.

Anonymous said...

A year or two ago I had this young (semi-homeless) gal living at my house... she got involved in that mess. She thought she was going to have a nanny job in Chicago for this wealthy traveling money. I came home from work and she had thousands of dollars in money orders that came from Nigeria or something... oh dear... poor thing... she was really bummed!